How much water should I drink? 5 myths about hydration answered

Jupiterimages/© Getty Images

Jupiterimages/© Getty Images

Jupiterimages/© Getty Images

How many glasses of water should I really be drinking every day? And does my coffee habit cancel out my water-drinking efforts?

These are the questions I wanted the answers for when I edited the hydration story written by award-winning writer Rachael Moeller Gorman in the August 2011 issue of EatingWell Magazine. I got my questions answered and some really surprised me, which is what inspired this post. So here you go: 5 common myths about water and hydration busted!

Myth or Truth: I need 8 glasses of water a day.
Myth. The Institute of Medicine says adult men actually need about 13 cups (3 liters) per day of fluid; adult women need about 9 cups (2.2 liters) of fluid. (You get about an additional 2 1/2 cups of fluid from foods.)

“But one size doesn’t fit all,” says Leslie Bonci, R.D., C.S.S.D., director of sports nutrition at the Center for Sports Medicine at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center and dietitian for the Pittsburgh Steelers. Your size and activity level affect your fluid requirements. Simply put, the larger and more active you are, the more you’ll need.