Ohio shoplifter comes clean 30 years later with $1,000 apology

A few weeks ago, Kmart president Ron Boire received a letter from an anonymous 68-year-old Cincinatti-area man apologizing for shoplifting from a Sharonville, Ohio, Kmart 30 years ago.

He wrote that he picked up clothes that were on layaway, told the woman at the counter that he'd pay for the items at the front of the store, and then took the clothes home without paying for them.

"I walked out the door without paying for my clothes," the man wrote, underlining each word of the sentence. "I don't know what came over me 'God's truth.' I have never stolen before in my life."

Man repays debt for clothing stolen decades ago from Kmart A Cincinnati-area man paid off a decades-old debt to Kmart to ease his nagging conscience.

The man added that he had recently rededicated his life to God and wanted to make things right.